Little did I think we’d still be going on the same campaign several years later. It’s like a story that never finishes!
So, with more than 50 D&D Chronicles posts (at the time of writing), and five characters under my belt, I’ve decided it’s probably past time to create an archive page to make it easy to read the entire adventure from the beginning.
All the posts are listed at the bottom in order, with links.
Introducing the adventurers
The first party of four (which got TPK’d in the second session) comprised a ranger, rogue, bard, and druid. Mine was the bard. That’s enough about them. They were so pathetic I didn’t even record their names.
We started from square one in our third session with a new combination of characters: ranger (Rhi – played by me), mage (Calwyn), cleric (Pasquale) and rogue (Tessla). These guys didn’t do so bad… Tessla was the first to go, replaced by Saffir.
Then came a momentous session in January 2013, when we gained an additional player/paladin (Intan), poor Rhi turned into a ghoul and was beheaded, then Pasquale jumped into a pool in plate armour. Welcome ranger Ash and cleric Alix.
This party survived intact (more or less) for another year, until Ash and Saffir had their throats cut by goblins.
There followed a period of high character turnover. Ash and Saffir were replaced by Kae and Effu. Intan got swept away by a river, to be replaced by a fighter, Madon. Effu and Madon then got killed by a minotaur… their replacements Sir Robin (fighter) and Sparrow (rogue) lasted about two sessions, when they were abandoned, along with Kae, by Calwyn and Alix who fled for their lives.
Our party was rather uneven for a while — the seemingly invincible mage/Calwyn and cleric/Alix getting stronger and stronger; the new ranger/Zillah, rogue/Schill and fighter/Ammonite struggling to catch up.
Despite this, we formed a cohesive unit pretty quickly, bound together by the Left Eye of Varrien — one of the objects we had been seeking. We all went south together with the Eye.
Alas, Schill perished not too long after that to a slime creature and was replaced by Brynn. Then we all went to The Crater Of Doom, which claimed three lives: the unlucky Calwyn (slain by Ammonite under a charm), Ammonite (who nonetheless single-handedly took out five centaurs first), and Brynn (separated from the party and attacked by giant wasps).
Our new fighter was Vaantus; the experienced Calwyn was replaced by mage/rogue, Squirrel; and we gained an additional cleric, Blizzard. We also gained a sixth player/character — a mage called Abra.
This new-look party got into some trouble in town, then kicked about in a cursed forest for a while, almost dying several times… Zillah did lose Ash, her canine animal companion, then Vaantus got all disillusioned and took up an offer of employment as a guard. So now we’ve been joined by Nightshade, one of the forest outlaws.
After an eventful sojourn in the town of Kelsen, in which we took over the thieves guild and bought a house, Zillah has a new animal companion (Fleet, a desert cat) and Nightshade acquired her first (Domino, a ferret). Abra decided things were becoming too hot for him and left the party.
There ensued a foray into the accursed Dust Plains in pursuit of a cleric who stole the Eye of Varrien, including Events in the city of Issimbaal (oh, that library!). We also hared off to fetch a fallen star for a master smith, and encountered a prophecy. Then it was back out into the Dust Plains to retrieve the Haft of the Flail (huzzah!), and clear out the Temple of Death — in so doing retrieving the stolen Eye.
We lost Blizzard on the Dust Plains, though. To an earth elemental. Alas, he couldn’t be resurrected. We met a new companion, though, Blaze, a paladin. He helped us clear out the temple and joined our quest.
Next we retrieved the Stars of the Flail of Wind and Rain from a dragon in the swamps. But not before the dragon fed poor Squirrel to water monsters. (There’s no coming back from that.) Luckily we’ve met a new mage, a furbolg called Fenfaren, who has agreed to come with us on the last leg of our quest…
Thus does our party stand… for the moment.
- Cleric – Alix
- Ranger – Zillah (with animal companion, Fleet, a desert cat)
- Mage – Fenfaren
- Paladin – Blaze
- Ranger – Nightshade (with animal companion, Domino, a ferret)
- The novice
- In which goblins smash us
- Enter zombies
- Rise of the miniatures
- In which we almost starve to death
- The temple in the treetops
- Of spiders and a squirrel
- Death… and resurrection
- Doors and a giant staircase
- Shit happens… and then you die
- A tough induction for Ash
- Beware giant chickens
- Tunnels and tons of rubble
- Explaining the basics
- Goblins and barrow wights
- The paladin’s tale
- Of gods, monsters and travelling
- Tragedy at the island
- Dwarven treasure
- A dodgy bargain with the enemy
- Playing both sides
- A trail of corpses
- Fast talking and fast walking
- In which Ash loses part of her soul and gains a wolf
- Vale Ash
- Slaying in the rain
- More death and some vengeance
- Zillah arrives and explores a citadel
- Zillah takes the unknown path (and has a good day)
- In which we are run out of town
- Trek through snow to the Lake of Tears
- In the depths of the barrow is a wurm and an Eye
- The (left) Eye of Varrien
- What was lost is now found
- The Eye goes south
- Zillah becomes a sell-sword with dire consequence
- The silver whistle
- A puzzle solved and then a test
- The island, the mage and the volcano
- Calamity in the forest, disaster at sea
- Back to the crater where there are centaurs
- The Green Man
- We pull off the retrieval mission but are betrayed
- At the crossroads
- Chased out of town. Again
- Fighting through the Broken Forest
- Death of an animal companion
- The fireball and the goblin chief
- Triumph over the troll lord
- Tale of the Dark Tree
- Making friends (and not friends) in Kelsen
- Fleet and flame
- In which we take over the Thieves Guild
- Journey into the swamp
- The Ziggurat
- Guardian of the library
- Trying to survive the mage college of Issimbaal
- Three battles, third time not so lucky
- Getting our butts kicked in and around Issimbaal
- Of portals, dust and a strange villa
- Ghostly encounters
- In which we leave Tippa in a tight spot
- A prophecy and a falling star
- Operation Skystone not going too well
- In the hanging gardens
- To Kyam by water and dust
- Tomb of Horrors – part 1
- The haft of the Flail (Tomb of Horrors – Part 2)
- Temple of Death
- Temple of Death yields death (and bounty)
- Quest for the Stars
- The lost city of Jhardhemeth
- In which Rakshasa prove masters of the common ambush
- One enemy down, a dragon to go
- The Stars