It’s definitely travel week here on ye olde blog. Completely unplanned, I assure you! But, upon reflection, considering the tagline of ‘To beyond and back’, it’s actually rather fitting.
Today we’re not peering into the past, however, but embracing the future according to this week’s WANAFriday blog prompt: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
This is a really hard question, because there are so many places I want to go: South America (especially Peru… and Patagonia), North Africa (especially Morocco), Mongolia, the area around the Caspian Sea, Everest Base Camp, Antarctica…
The list is literally endless.
My current most immediate hankering, however, is to walk the Mont Blanc circuit in central Europe. The mountain lies on the border between France and Italy and is the highest peak in the European Union. I have no desire to climb the mountain itself, but there’s a walk you can do that circumnavigates the peak in about two weeks. Here’s a link to the Intrepid Travel guided walk — and it’s taking extreme self-control not to book myself on a trip here and now…
The description on the Intrepid web site: Undertake one of the most dramatic walks in Europe. No amount of training can prepare you for the staggering beauty and degree of diversity that is contained within the Mont Blanc Circuit. Postcard perfect villages, cerulean glaciers, striking alpine vistas, challenging passes and rewarding days await on this walking adventure through France, Italy and Switzerland.
- Follow the Grand Balcon trail
- Walk through fields of wildflowers
- Traverse alpine pastures to Champex
- Pass through France, Italy and Switzerland
- Get up close to breathtaking glaciers
- Follow ancient Roman roads
Doesn’t that sound amazing?
I am desperate to do this walk. Not only do I absolutely love mountains, but don’t you think it sounds like a fabulous research trip for a fantasy writer? Might even be tax deductible…
So, right now, that’s where I’d go, if I could go anywhere. Where would you go? Does anyone else like walking/trekking holidays?
And now it’s just occurred to me that I took this prompt to mean “anywhere in this world“… Because, if out of this world was an option, then just imagine the places one could go: the moon… Middle Earth… Al-Rassan… [head explodes]
Other participants in this week’s WANAFriday blogfest include:
- Kim Griffin — who tells us why she wants to visit Paris, Australia and Hawaii
- Siri Paulson — whose destination of choice is a little out of this world…
- Janice Heck — who reveals why she’d go back to Paris
- Cora Ramos — who shares her favourite mode of travel: the wandering road trip
- Liv Rancourt — who reveals her yearning to revisit Hawaii
- Nikki McCormack — who shares a bunch of recent photos from Ireland
- Tami Clayton — who says she wants to go to Hawaii too (that’s three votes for Hawaii!)
Further posts will be updated when they’re live.
To participate, simply write a post to the prompt and tweet to #wanafriday, then hop around and visit all the other posts (and link to them if you wish).
Image credit: Wikimedia commons